Sunday, February 12, 2012

How Much Screen Time is Enough?

Fit Can Be Fun! And better than screen time!

A team of community and school volunteers, led by Clio’s Tim Neelands, helped organize a Fitness Day at Clio High School yesterday, Saturday, for all 4th, 5th, and 6th graders as part of the Healthy Community Initiative and the Healthy Kids Learn Best project at Carter Middle School.  Designed to help kids to pass the PE physical fitness tests, the day provided a variety of healthy and fun activities. It was a beach party with beach balls, swimming, and various stations of physical tests for the students.  The day was “intentional fun,” which means that all the fun activities had a specific purpose or intent – and that is to help kids develop and grow healthy!  Good job, Tim and all the volunteers!

We know that some young people are using up most of their waking hours watching – TV, video, or computer screens.  I’m told that some students are in front of a screen for 10 -12 hours a day on a weekend!  Others are in front of a screen for five or six hours a day. 

How many hours do we adults spend in front of a computer or a TV?  My time on the computer is getting out of control!  I pride myself on not playing video games, so I just sit and do emails, look at news clips from D.C., and get caught up watching the “play of the day” on the sports blog. And when I’m done working on the computer, I take a break and watch TV! 

Maybe I should start an “Anti-Screen Campaign” at my house.  Limit my screen time to no more than 2 hours of computer and 2 hours of TV.   Hmmmm.  Is that reasonable?  What is a reasonable amount of screen time for you?  For your child?  Let’s talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment